Saturday, May 14, 2011

Review: Norwegian Wood

I have quoted many times from this book and I only realised tonight that I never wrote a review for it. Considering that is was one of the most memorable books I've ever read I would be remiss to not do it justice like the rest of my favourite Murakami books.

Written by the Japanese author Murakami Haruki (村上 春樹) and translated by Jay Rubin. Murakami is currently my favourite (still living) author and for my money the best writing style of any author in any language. (though I suspect most of the credits will have to be given to the translator) His ability to paint the most breath taking imagery and the mastery to invoke emotions is second to none.

Unlike the other two Murakami books that I've reviewed thus far this book is unique in that it draws on Murakami's own life experiences which resulted in speculation whether this was a fictionalised autobiography of his youth. A suggestion that he denies, stating that his youth was far more mundane but I didn't research too much into it - maybe it is, maybe it isn't. So unlike the previous books, no talking cats and strange pseudo sciences. But classically Japanese - sexually charged and explicit but never vulgar.

The story follows the protagonist and narrator - Watanabe Toru. Following his experiences as a Japanese youth through high school and university. The story opens with the elderly Toru landing in Hamburg, Germany where he hears the Beatles song - "Norwegian Wood" and was immediately overwhelmed by a sudden and unexpected wave of sorrow and nostalgia. The song was the favourite of an emotional fragile girl named Naoko, and from here Toru narrates this story.

It follows his struggle after the unexpected suicide of his best friend, leaving his girlfriend Naoko, traumatised. Naoko and Toru becomes involved and shares a turbulent relationship, back-dropped against chaotic times when university students were far more concerned with the social protests than studies - which also doubles as Murakami's criticism of hypocrisy of the student movement then. He then meets the free-spirited and lively girl named Midori and found his affections being torn between the two woman.

I have mentioned in other posts that I was completely dumbstruck the first chapter, Murakami painted a scene of mesmerizing beauty, rich with emotions as if one could touch the incredible sense of energy and love Toru had for Naoko. The final scene in the chapter was filled with pleasant nostalgia that warmed the heart and then he plunged the reader into collective depression by ending it with "But Naoko never loved me." (yes, I also plagiarised that line, so sue me)

The matter-of-fact way that Murakami ended the chapter set the tone for the rest of the novel - because it resembles watching a car accident in slow motion. Painful to watch but at the same time so captivating that you are unable to avert your eyes. The book for the most part was depressing - I enjoy and consume tragedies but reading it made me feel heavy for days afterwards. It touched me in ways that only a well written book can.

3 comments:

Sarai Pahla said...

God - I *love* Murakami. Glad you have the deep appreciation of his work!!

Sarai Pahla said...

http://life.globaltimes.cn/entertainment/2011-06/661531.html

DX said...

Yep, absolutely loves his book on a very profound level :P That or I'm just being a pretentious bastard. Either way...

I already seen the movie, actually got it a few days after writing this review - it was alright it was never going to be the same.