Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Kafka on the Shores

Originally posted: Wednesday, 8th August 2007

The 2nd book that I have read by Murakami Haruki. I enjoyed this particular one a lot more than The Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the end of the World. There was something special about this one, that captivates me.

The strength of Murakami's writing shines through here again and he paints a world so real and yet at the same time so foreign and beautiful. His description of scenery and emotions are heads and shoulders above many modern authors and one find themselves immersed into his world - at times my heart quickened by the phantom sound and smell that I found myself experiencing.

This book is very much like the other in that it's a metaphysical story set in the modern world and runs two paralle stories: one of a 15 year old boy running away from his fathers dark Oepidal prophecy and the other about an elderly mentally handicapped man with the strange ability to talk to cats.

The story is once again complex and keeps the reader guessing like a good detective story, the characters are magnificently rendered and likeable. The story despite its dark undertones is heart-warming and at the same time sexually charged.

This book will rank among one of the best I have read and would recommend it to anyone.

No comments: