Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Time to Just Give Up

Two weekends ago I went back to Cape Town for rest and fun - OK not so much rest rather than a weekend of complete debauchery. Nowadays I only return to greet old friends - otherwise I don't stay there long enough to do interesting things that make my trip worthwhile.

When friends return from China/HK/UK/US/Sweden and I would try to plan a weekend down see them and also wreck havoc while down there. Normally I don't ONLY go down because of their arrival, rather because I try to plan my trips to coincide. This particular weekend was such when JB one of my closest friends from my high school days returned to Cape Town from Oxford.

A while back she told me when she will be back and looking at my schedule (yes I have one) and thought that it was perfect because it would be the weekend after my CFA exams and can double up as my post-exams celebrations.

She has a busy schedule when she is down in Cape Town spending time with friends and family and most importantly with the boyfriend. So I tried to be understanding when she renegades me to only tea or light lunch and sometimes just cancelling it all together. Still I only held a small grudge and I sometimes more than a little that I was never invited over for meals with the family after all the years.

This time round was the final straw, I made it very clear to her the week before that I'm making this trip SPECIALLY so that I can met up with her. I was renegaded from a meal to a light lunch to tea at her place to finally being cancelled altogether. I give up.

I realised that we have grown apart through the years and it didn't occur to her how much it breaks my heart to think that she couldn't even spare me a few hours of her free time. She helped me through some of my darkest hours and so I truly thought of her as my confidant.

The suffering in the past year helped me to realise that life is too short, I don't have the time, or energy (or money for that matter) to waste on people that makes me feel like shit - I must learn to let go.

No comments: