Thursday, August 18, 2011

Just Friends

In the supremely unlikely event that there is a god, he is a capricious and cruel one, the week that I decided to fully focus on my career and long term life goals (aka making money) and just sit out of the battle of the sexes, that very weekend I found myself completely bowled over by someone and found myself back into the game...this time with competition.

Most people in the world don't like to lose, I take an extreme view that if I do take part in anything I play to win (except when there are ulterior motives). I particularly hate competitions where what I do can't influence the outcome. Which is why this stupid game of courtship and dating is so damn nerve wrecking for me. I can handle defeat, at least handle it better than most people believe. What I can't handle is being thrown in a situation where I'm helpless - where there was never anything that I could've done at all to influence the outcome. The short version of this paragraph is that I hated feeling helpless while I watch the object of my affection being wooed by someone else.

I have since decided to (on more than one occasion) take a step back, but each time I found myself strangely drawn to this game where the script has already been written: I'll end in tears. When I declared my intentions she gave me the standard template answer that I have grown so accustomed to hearing. "Can't we just be friends"?

The answer was a so simple and yet so complicated - No.

I have no intention of being yet another non-sexual male friend to yet another pretty girl that I more than fancy. Far worse is that if we remain friends I will have to watch the happiness that I was denied when she chose the other guy over me.

No, I won't be "just" your friend because just a friend is the ultimate raw deal.

1 comment:

Sarai Pahla said...

This whole "Can we just be friends?" thing is absolute BS - No is definitely the correct answer. I get the feeling the other party just says that to make themselves feel better. Derisive laughter, however, while more painful in the short term, gives you a better idea of where you stand in the long term.